THE HISTORY OF WREDLING MIDDLE SCHOOL
We are honored to have Wredling Middle School named after Mr. John H. Wredling, who was Superintendent of Schools from 1968 to 1972. Mr. Wredling is an active part of Wredling and is known and admired by our students, staff and parents.
Wredling Middle School first opened its doors in the fall of 1995, creating for the first time a third middle school in the St. Charles Community Unit School District 303. Wredling remained on its original site at 255 Red Gate Road until the year 2000, when as originally planned, it moved across the river to 1200 Dunham Road.
The elementary schools feeding into Wredling Middle School are Anderson, Fox Ridge, Munhall, Lincoln, and Norton Creek. Also included is a small population from Davis and Richmond. We appreciate the accomplishments our students have achieved as a result of their preparation from these schools and we are certainly fortunate to have such a supportive parent population!
We encourage partnerships with our families and our community so that together we may maximize the educational opportunities for our schools.
Click here to share
Mr. Wredling's 97th Birthday Celebration
St. Charles School History
(Corrected history as of 4-20-04)
St. Charles was founded in 1833 by Evan Shelby. Its early schools were purely traditional with a strong rivalry between the east and west side. About 1917, a departmental organization was set up for Grades 7-8, in accordance with educators' belief that a teacher highly skilled in one field could do a better teaching job if he taught his own particular subject, rather than all subjects.
In 1897, east side District 7 and west side District 8 united to form District 87. Charles B. Haines was the first Board of Education president of the newly united District 87. Haines donated land at East Main and Sixth Avenue, and a $30,000 three story brick junior-senior high school was built in 1898. The first floor was devoted to grades six through eight, high school was on the second floor, and the third floor was used for basketball and gymnastics.
After this school was built, a school board member said, "The new board must be building for eternity. There will never in this life be enough high school pupils in all of St. Charles, Geneva and Batavia to fill the Haines building." It was filled to capacity by 1926, but went to serve the city for a total of 53 years.
When Charles Haines died in 1914, he left one third of his estate to the school district and the west side family farm for a new high school, now Thompson Middle School.
Charles E. Mann was superintendent and taught Physics, Advanced Literature, Latin, and Trigonometry taught to the upper classes. Mann conducted daily assemblies in which he read Shakespeare, the bible and modern novels to the students and led them in debate and song.
From 1895 to 1925, Haines served as a high school and for seventh and eighth grades: 1925 to 1953, used for seventh and eighth grades only; 1953 to 1956, housed grades no longer be placed in other building; 1955-1956 final year of its use, fourth grade from Little Woods, fifth grade from Shelby, and sixth grade from Lincoln and Shelby.
On December 8, 1956, Old Haines Junior High was auctioned at 11:00a.m. for $53,000. The entire block was purchased by Louis Kacheres of the St. Charles Hotel, who razed the building and built a Piggly Wiggly grocery store and parking lot. Walt's Super Market occupied the space until 1997. Lundeen's, the East Side Post Office and Fox Valley Community Bank now occupy the site.
George Thompson was superintendent of St. Charles schools from 1919 to 1958.
With the completion of the Dunham Road high school complex in 1977, Haines Junior High was joined by Thompson Junior High (the old St. Charles High School) in serving students in grades 6, 7, and 8.
In 1993, the District began calling Haines and Thompson "Middle Schools" in recognition of successful use of interdisciplinary teams and other age appropriate initiatives in both schools.
Continued population growth resulted in the opening of Wredling Middle School in the Fall of 1995. We are honored to have our building named after John H. Wredling, who was Superintendent of Schools from 1958 - 1972, a prior period of rapid growth. Mr. Wredling continues to be an active part of the St. Charles Community and will become known by our students.
Sources: St. Charles Chronicle articles 11/28/56, 9/6/56
History of St. Charles by Pearson